Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Starting 2011 Off Right

I am not a fan of New Years. I have no idea where the dislike for New Years has rooted from, but for as long as I can remember I have never been a big fan.
Till this year...
Somehow I was lucky to know all the right people who had connections to Rose Bowl events.
I first was offered a Rose Bowl parade ticket from my friend Whitney.
Followed by my friend Justin's team (Wisconsin) making the Rose bowl and him planning a tailgate.
Then magically this past week I was offered a ticket to the game thanks to a connection from work.
I don't think I could have done/attended the Rose Bowl any better.
I have grown up watching the Rose Bowl on the TV and have a memory of my mom wearing a Michigan State Rose Bowl sweatshirt for as long as I can remember. I knew this day would be a big deal.
The day for sure lived up to all the hype this city builds it up to be, and how I had pictured it in my head from years on TV.
But for real, the Rose Bowl is a marathon of a day....
4:45am alarm went off to drive to Pasadena
5:30am parked/viewed the floats lined up on the street in the dark/stood in the longest coffee line ever/made the walk to our seats located on Orange Grove
8:00am the 2hr!!! parade starts (I think I'm now officially good on parades for a while)
11:15 walked to the stadium to tailgate
2:00 kickoff (go TCU, my big 12 soul is still safe from having to root for the big 10...minus Sparty)
7:00 walk the 3/4 miles back to my car
8:30 get home
= Rose Bowl 2011 day is over and I'm passed out by 9

Random Parade note...
A float broke down in front of our stands during the parade. A person next to us informed us that if a float does have to be towed, the float is fined $15000 and they are not allowed to be in the parade the following year. That float is officially on the Rose Bowl black list. (picture below of the float being towed away)










No comments:

Post a Comment